World Cup to rake in sales in Thailand

The 64 FIFA World Cup matches to be held in Germany from 9 June to 9 July 2006 are expected to draw a total of 30 billion viewers worldwide, an increase from 28 billion for the previous tournament. All matches will be televised live in Thailand in the evening and Promotional Partners Worldwide (Thailand) Ltd, the exclusive World Cup licensing agency, expects a massive audience. According to the company, the total local market value of the World Cup to increase by 20 per cent to Bt 1 billion, based on all 2006 World Cup activities, licensed merchandising and promotional campaigns in Thailand.

PPW will distribute official souvenirs including emblems and mascots for the 2006 World Cup in Germany featuring the 2006 official World Cup emblem, official mascots Goleo & Pille and the World Cup trophy under the FIFA-approved slogan “A time to make friends”. The company is currently negotiating licenses for sports and leisure apparel, headwear, bags, home and car decorative items, footwear, plush toys, stationery, fashion goods, keyrings, pins and badges, and other souvenirs, to manufacturers, trading firms or retailers.

According to PPW director Ronnapong Kamnuanthip, the merchandise will be made available by the first quarter of next year. Retail prices are expected to be 20-30 percent lower than that in the host country, given relatively lower production and distribution costs. Locally made licensed merchandise is expected to account for about 70 percent of the goods on offer, with the remaining 30 percent, such as CDs, to be imported.